What is Biofeedback?
Learn to effectively self-calm, relax and rebalance your own nervous system.
HRV Biofeedback can help reduce anxiety, lift depression, and improve stress management. Biofeedback training teaches individuals to:
- Become aware of stress effects
- Regulate their reaction to stress
- Shift their internal state to one that renews psychological reserves
Learn more about how to better manage its effects on you.
The interplay between emotion, stress and psychological activation can be seen here:
This is particularly helpful to understand why we experience sleep problems, physical fatigue, and irritability during periods of high stress, and why we feel much better physically when we are experiencing positive emotions. HRV Biofeedback training uses this to teach individuals how to become aware of stress effects before their reserves become depleted, how to regulate their reaction to stress in the moment, and how to shift their own internal state to one that renews our physiological reserves.
Psychological Outcomes of Biofeedback:
- Increased internal awareness
- Ability to self-regulate reactivity to internal or external stressors
- Ability to self-regulate mood
- Regained sense of control
- Increased control of pain level, stress level and other symptoms
- Less emotional and psychological agitation
Physiological Outcomes of Biofeedback:
- Correction of dysfunction or imbalance within the autonomic system
- Activation of the body’s natural relaxation response
- Deactivation of the Human Stress Response
- Less physical agitation
Our Biofeedback workshops are single educational programs designed to teach or introduce to participants practical skills and techniques to naturally regulate their own nervous system. Our Biofeedback workshops are self-contained (they stand on their own) and time-limited, usually lasting 90 minutes and are offered on an on-going monthly basis. Our Biofeedback workshops usually require preregistration and prepayment although some may be offered as drop-ins. The workshops are led by an experienced licensed clinical psychologist who is certified in biofeedback services.